Tuesday, May 30, 2017

And... They're Benign!

Just about 3 weeks ago, I had surgery to remove 3 neurofibromas from my leg. These tumours had been growing, and in a location where they CONSTANTLY rubbed on my pant seem and caused quite a bit of discomfort.

Going into the surgery, I was quite certain I knew that the tumours would be benign, but I had this nagging fear in the back of my mind that the pathology results would come back showing that the tumours were actually cancerous. Well folks, today I got the news from my dermatologist that the tumours are indeed BENIGN! Oh what a happy day! NF brings about a certain level of unpredictability to the table, and knowing for sure that there are no signs of malignant cells in my body is definitely reassuring!

I have written about the different types of NF tumours in the past, but here is a bit of a refresher on what a neurofibroma actually is! I've also included some pictures of my surgical site, so if you're at all squeamish I wouldn't scroll any further :) 

A neurofibroma is a (mostly) benign nerve sheath tumour in the peripheral nervous system. These tumours occur, because people with Neurofibromatosis are unable to make a protein called neurofibromin, which is responsible for "monitoring" the body for tumor growth... kind of like how cops monitor for crimes... However, people with Neurofibromatosis do not make this specific protein, which is why tumors can rapidly grow in the body.

The primary treatment for these tumours is surgery, which is what I went through 3 weeks ago! Overall, this is my second surgery. The first being a major surgery when I was 13 to remove a different kind of tumour called a plexiform.


SO HERE YOU CAN SEE THE 3 TUMOURS





HERE THEY ARE AFTER THE BANDAGES CAME OFF (THERE WERE 13 STITCHES TOTAL)





HERE THEY ARE ONCE AGAIN ONCE THE STITCHES CAME OUT 





ON THE WAY TO BEING HEALED




Here's hoping I didn't gross anyone out tooooooo much! Remember, I did warn you about surgical pictures! 

- Court 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad things were benign and hope you make a rapid recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad too that everything turned ok!
    I removed around 17 a month ago..

    ReplyDelete