Monday, April 10, 2017

Thank You

Wow! I recently hit 50,000 page views, and as a thank you to everyone who has read, I wanted to write a special post thanking everyone for their support over the years. All the positive and negative experiences have made a huge impact on my life!

Let's start with the positive experiences...

Thank you to the pediatrician who diagnosed me with Neurofibromatosis 20 years ago. Thank you for giving me a definitive diagnosis. Without your knowledge on NF, I seriously wonder whether or not I would have ever been diagnosed with NF. Although my medical journey has been incredibly rocky, frustrating and at times draining, I can't imagine how much worse it could have been without my diagnosis.

Thank you to the teachers who were so patient with me in high school when I began missing so much school because of doctors appointments, tests, scans, and follow up visits. You all made some the darkest and scariest times in my life more bearable. Thank you for being so understanding.

Thank you to the nurse practitioner who literally saved my life when I was in the thralls of anorexia and depression. Thank you for confronting me head on, and for not dancing around the subject. You have changed my life in more ways than you will ever know. Thank you for inspiring me to make a change in the lives of sick individuals. Thank you for giving me such an incredible person to look up to.

Thank you to all the doctors who tirelessly worked with me to get to the root of all of my health issues. I know I was NOT an easy patient. Thank you for never giving up on me, and for directing me to the right place when you exhausted all of your resources. Thank you for all of your kindness, compassion and genuine smiles. You all made my journey through the health care system so much easier.

Thank you to all my friends who have stood by my side as I went through all my weird stages. You've been such a source of solidarity for me and I know I would not be where I am today without your conditional love and support.

Thank you to my family, my best friend Carlene, my boyfriend, Desiree, Scott, Tracy and each and every person in the NF community... you all have made an impact on my life in so many different ways I don't think this post would let me list them all!

Thank you to the 50,000 plus readers who have stumbled across this blog, I never anticipated it to go as far as it has. Thank you just doesn't seem to cut it!


Now it's time for the negative experiences... 


Thank you to the kids in elementary school who relentlessly bullied me for the way I looked. Thanks for judging me for my size, the birthmarks that covered my body and for actually pushing me into a swimming pool because you thought I was "gross". Although I didn't understand at the time why I deserved to be treated so poorly, I've come to realize all you guys were doing was projecting your own crap on someone who was just slightly more helpless.

Thank you to to doctor who doubted me when I went to the Mayo Clinic, and actually went as far as labeling me as a hypochondriac at the tender age of 16. Thank you for actually laughing in my face when I presented you with an extremely detailed diary of how, when and where my headaches affected me most. I appreciate your cold demeanor, lack of empathy and judgmental attitude. Thanks for accusing me of "attention seeking" and "making up my entire diagnosis".

Thank you to all the teachers who gave me grief when I missed so much school to attend doctors appointments, tests, scans and follow up visits. I give a thumbs up to the teacher who actually gave me ADDITIONAL homework when I had a spinal tap because "I would have the time to do it". Rock on.

Thank you to the person who laughed at the poster I made in high school about NF right before I was going to come clean about my condition. That did wonders for my ego.

Thanks to the patient who said I was never going to go anywhere because I was "too small to be taken seriously as a nurse". I appreciate your lack of self confidence and ability to pick on someone who is almost 3 times younger than you.


So as you can see, I have MANY people to thank for getting me where I am today. Not every experience has been positive, but each experience has in some way or another impacted my life. Each negative experience has just reminded me that I am stronger than I thought, and each positive experience just reminds me that I have absolutely everything I need in this world. Thank you really does not seem like enough to express how grateful I am for the experiences I have had thus far, so I want to thank each and everyone of you from the bottom of my heart. 

- Court




1 comment:

  1. The word I see in this post is growth. You grew during all these experiences. since I'm fortunate to know you as a neighbor, I see maturity in you that's much before your years. Your life experiences have made you grow up long before your time. Keep on rockin!

    ReplyDelete