Saturday, December 31, 2016

My Year in a Tattoo

Historically in literature, trees have been known to represent antiquity, immense and enduring strength, stability and in some instances overcoming illness.

In December, I decided to add a tattoo to my collection, a small pine tree on my rib cage. To some, it's just a "cute" little tattoo. Some might assume it is to represent an undying love for nature. But in all reality, this tattoo means so much more to me. 

2016 was quite the year let me tell you. Accomplishments, triumphs, loss, despair... name an emotion and I can almost guarantee you that I felt it at some point. 

I spoke out about my struggles with mental illness at my old high school, graduated nursing school, started my career as a registered nurse in both the fields of obstetrics and pediatrics. Helped start a not-for-profit organization that supports people with Neurofibromatosis and helped raise close to $8,000 for the same group. I've strengthened existing friendships and have let new people into my life. My relationship with my parents is a strong as it has ever been. 

But you know what? I have also felt almost every low emotion too. I've lost important relationships, experienced some of the worst depressive symptoms I've had in many years and have had to start antidepressants. I've had to learn to cope with change and adversity. I've started therapy, and have reached out to an incredible life coach who has given me life changing advice on how to overcome hardship and adversity. 

To say my 2016 was a roller coaster would be an understatement. It was joyous, hell, beautiful, awful and quite frankly life changing. But you know what? I am so damn proud of myself. I am standing here, and I am proud to be sharing my story. 

This tattoo is to remind me of this wild and crazy year. The asymmetric nature of the tattoo is supposed to represent that life is imperfect, and therefore I am imperfect. It is there to remind me that although things might be okay right now, there will be a time in the very near future that things might fall apart, and there will also be a time in the very near future where things will flourish.

Many people have said that 2016 was the "worst year", but I want you to think back to what made this year what it turned out to be. Think hard about the things that maybe you could have done differently, think about what you did well. Take all of those thoughts and feelings and turn them around into something great for 2017.

Have a safe and happy New Years everyone!

Court


No comments:

Post a Comment