Monday, April 6, 2015

Allison's Story

Hi everyone! So I thought that it might be interesting for me to start sharing other people's stories and journey's through NF, so please take the time to read this wonderful post from Allison, who has been living with NF for 16 years! Please show your support towards Allison and leave comments and share the heck out of this post! Thanks guys =)


You are braver than you believe smarter than you think as stronger than you seem.. Courage is a powerful thing , it pushes us through the worst of times and lifts us up in the best. At times it may be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but through believing and having courage can make all the difference and in my case the power of courage is what got me through.
Courage gives us the power to push through struggles in our life so we can come out on top. At the age of 1 I was diagnosed with a genetic disorder Neurofibromatosis that can cause tumors to grow on or in the body on nerves.In my case there was a spontaneous mutation , making me the only one in my family with it. NF can cause cancer ,deafness and even blindness and much more. There is no cure for NF but in time there will be. For now it's constant MRI's doctor visits and the constant unknown of what if? 
At the age of 15 on July 1st 2013 I had brain surgery to remove a tumor on my cerebellum due to NF.. I was constantly falling and tripping on practically air..I recovered from surgery remarkably well. Courage and the power of prayer held me up through all of it.. I do go for MRIs every 6 months, and no matter how many I go through I always dread going. I do really believe positivity is key remaining positive through everything really helps. 
Even though I have a disorder full of unknowns I wouldn't change it for the world, I met extraordinary people who have helped change my life and I've helped others through there journey. I wouldn't have been able to do anything with out courage. Courage pushed me to above as beyond.





3 comments:

  1. Great story Allison. You never know how strong you are or how much courage you have until you face a challenge like NF. I can well understand the apprehension of the MRI after what you've gone through. All the best to you and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, you are a true inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing your story. It will no doubt give people living with NF (or not!) courage to face obstacles and encourage them to always strive for the best!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Allison for sharing your amazing words and spirit. You are an inspiration to all those around you. Keep up the positivity. You are a wonderful soul with an amazing purpose.

    ReplyDelete